My Photo
Name:
Location: Dryden, Ontario, Canada

Monday, May 16, 2011

A Night in a Bar

I debated getting involved. You never knew with these things, maybe the angry man with his gun-filled hand should be stopped, maybe he should encouraged. There were cards and poker chips still rolling and spinning on the floor. A dirty deal? Cheating came with a high price tag in these places. Although I decided to to stay out of it, I watched the drama play itself out. I knew I looked relaxed, but I wasn't. Since childhood I had always been able to do that, look relaxed when I wasn't, or look jittery when I was calm. People found it confusing. I didn't.

The frantic woman almost made it to the protection of the table when the first shot exploded in the room, quickly followed by one more. That would be two shots, I thought to myself. The man with the Colt staggered backwards and tumbled to the floor. The rush of air as he hit sent several cards into a sudden fluttering flight. One landed on his forehead. I knew his now sightless eyes would never know what he had been dealt. The Deuce of Spades. One for each bullet. Was it justice? By that time I didn't care. My eyes were fixed on the man who had done the shooting. I waited for him to holster his pistol before I turned back to my drink, no longer interested in the affair. I had business in the town, but this wasn't it. At least I didn't think it was. I had always had trouble remembering what was and was not my business. A nuisance really.

I had waited for her to come to me. I knew she would, they always do.

She would want to talk about it. I wouldn't. She would be curious about me. I wouldn't. I signalled the barkeep for another shot and began to take the makings out of my vest pocket. Then I remembered the tailor mades. With one long nail I quickly slit one open and dumped the tobacco into the rolling paper, careful not to have one end thicker than the other. I hated that. One end burned too hot, and the other was too thick. In a few seconds it was ready and I searched my pockets for a match. The sudden burst of flame told me the woman had arrived.
I had waited for her to come to me. I knew she would, they always do.

I reached out to steady her trembling hand, more to prevent her scorching my moustache than out of concern for her brush with death. I asked her if she would like one, and she nodded. I started to slit one of the tailor mades for rolling when she stopped me and said she preferred them as they were, since they were packed evenly. I made a note to think about what she had just said later, and offered her the package. She asked me to let go of her hand so she could strike another match. I did. Reluctantly. I was beginning to like the way the woman thought. I asked if she had a name. Yes, she said, do you? I admitted I did. The formalities were over for now, and I was glad. I never cared much for this kind of idle chatter.
She began to thank me for what I had done and I had to point out that it wasn't me who shot her would be killer, although I was considering it. She seemed pleased with my answer. After butting out the cigarette, she walked over to the body and kicked it solidly in the rib cage. I felt that was a little cold...
I bought a bottle of the rotgut from the barkeep and headed to the door. My last thought was about Ma, and her desire for me to meet a nice gal and settle down.
I hadn't found her in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home