My Photo
Name:
Location: Dryden, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, October 30, 2010

October 30th

Just returned from the local IGA store. I went to get milk, and I forgot it. But I did get a terrific buy on some fishsticks for the trick or treaters tomorrow. Some have spicy Cajun seasoning and are bound to be a real eye opener for the little darlings. Probably good for the sinuses as well.

I recall being forced to sing a song for the treats years ago. Where that tradition came from I have no idea. It took a few Halloweens before I clicked in and would start into some bawdy little number which folks quickly put a stop to.
"There once was a gal from Nantucket..." was as far as I would have to go.

Occasionally I would not costume at all and go as "The Kid Next Door."

In my own family we would go all out for the wee ones, with trimmings, and pumpkins, and we would all dress up a bit. One year we borrowed the neighbours black cat and duct taped it to the front window. Quite a conversation piece really. And we would always have hot dogs for dinner, they were quick and easy and left lots of room for sweets. I guess we must have done that for nearly 25 years in a row. Yes, I am having a hot dog supper tomorrow, then I plan to eat fish for a few days.
I know there is a reluctance among many Christian communities to celebrate the evening, and I am a little sad about that. Hallelulah night is okay, but the one thing it lacks is the wonder of going up and down your local streets and being treated kindly by so many people you don't really know....maybe to see them but that's it. I always found this a real lesson in humanity. I learned that people at heart can be kind and fun and generous. And you would have this brief positive interaction between the accompanying adults which led to a few more hellos on the street and some common ground to close the distance between them. To each his own on this one, and since Church communities tend to isolate themselves socially as a rule, they may as well learn it at an early age.
(The fisherman ain't wearin' out his shoes, when he's walkin' to the choir.")

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always wanted to be a carpenter and build myself a pedestal so common folk would have a place to put me... On Halloween, throngs of admirers whould throw flocks of candy up to me... (is it "flocks" or "bunches" ??) I gave up the idea when it occurred to me that some little puke would wrap a rock in an empty tootsie roll wrapper and do me harm... so sad... had to turn my attention to learning how to walk on water... won't let my many failures dampen my spirit though... :o)

October 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home