My Photo
Name:
Location: Dryden, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 31st

Not a single trick or treater has arrived at this point. I tried throwing some fish sticks out the window at the little ghosts and goblins but the window doesn't open and they just bounced off. I now have a not so thin layer of breading all over the computer and parts of the piano. Several tumbled to the baseboard heater. When they smell cooked, I shall retrieve them and get to goblin.
As with all holidays which were always a family oriented affair, I miss the little traditions and laughs that always filled the day. Next up is Remembrance Day, almost as tough as Christmas for me these last four years, although I should clarify it was not a day filled with laughter, rather a stay at home tradition of quiet thankfulness for our freedoms and privileges, purchased at a terrible cost.
I am always particularly thankful that my Father survived to live a long and productive life...so many Dads did not.
For those idly curious about my instruments' release from captivity, the situation remains the same. The Princess sits in her case, my piano is still unplugged. Not an optimum setup for a songwriter. Perhaps I shall try again later....most likely I will not. Their availability carries a terrible responsibility which I am not prepared to accept lately.
I just finished reading "Mutiny on the Bounty". I found a 1932 edition at a flea market and snapped it up. A most enjoyable read. Started another book this morning..."The Wake of the Wahoo", about submariners in WWII. It is in keeping with this months nautical theme and I cracked it just in time.

Tomorrow I plan to go order a Bible for myself. I want one with larger font than is the norm, being frustrated with the constant rubbing of eyes required when I read my other two copies. Drydock has a lovely Christian giftshop. I always enjoy a half hour wander through the joint.
Zzzzzzzzzzz......

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Holidays become tough as personal traditions dissapear or change. This Halloween I spent rubbing elbows with new people, but not enjoying many of my old favourite haunts. This Christmas looks to be my first without a stocking and other such items.
But with all new things/changes are new ways to look at the old, to see our memories with all the more revery and joy. I am adapting to see my new world as an exciting one (even if I have to force it to be so) and that way, if anything familiar finds its way back into my life, it will be all the more joyous a surprise...because you never really know...
I know your adapting skills are more finely tuned than mine, but I hope this last year of mine has made me relate to you better.

November 2, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home